Saturday, April 10, 2010

Easter break

Just got back yesterday from Easter break. It was pretty awesome. I spent five days in Rome with my sister and my parents and then two days in Madrid with my parents and then two days at a conference in Segovia.

Rome was definitely the highlight. I didn't eat a bad meal, and had more spaghetti and gelati in those five days than I will ever have in Spain. That alone was worth the trip. Being back in the motherland with my family was great. The first time we were all abroad even though we were only 4/5 of what we should be. To boot, my girlfriend happened to be in Rome and she met the parents. That went really well. Add in going to the Good Friday service at the Vatican as well as Mass at the Vatican on Sunday. The weather wasn't so cooperative, but it didn't matter. I think there were around a million people at the Vatican for Mass on Sunday. That is how to do Easter right.

Madrid with the folks was good too. They got a taste of the Spanish country side. I was able to show them around a little bit as well. It was all good stuff. I even took them to Pamplona so they could see what life here is like. Pamplona is small enough that it can be enchanting providing you don't stay too long.

I was in Segovia the past two days for something called the Science Against Poverty that was put on by the Spanish Presidency of the EU. It was a big rah-rah about how social scientists and academes can use their skills to make policies to help combat poverty. Still, I met lots of interesting people. Some of whom I will definitely stay in contact with in the future.

After all that travelling, I am very happy to be in Pamplona for the next few days to refocus on what I am doing at the center and to relax. It is springtime here. I want to enjoy as much sun as I can even though I have much to do. I hope by the end of the month I will have official word about my status in Pamplona for next year, but it unofficially it is looking like I will definitely be back.

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment